WHAT I LIKE TO SEE IN EROTICA
10. Consensual sex. Seriously, and see previous post, consent is hot. A man (or woman) who asks permission and a woman (or man) who gasps out “yes!” is hugely sexy, because you know they know they want it, their partner knows they want it, heck, we all know they want it!
9. Respect. I’m not talking about the kind of respect you should show your mother (egads, I’m not talking about your mother at all!). I mean characters that don’t treat each other like idiots, or trash. Sure, they can lie and cheat and be controlling and dark and dirty, but in the end, find a way to make them respectful of something.
8. The build-up, AKA the sexual tension. Listen, if there’s no tension beforehand, why do I care that they’re having sex? Lots of us have sex. Whatever.
7. Laughter. I like it when the characters laugh with each other, and when they make me laugh. Laughter is sexy. Laughter should not be reserved solely for romance novels. Of course, laughter in erotica needs to be…shall we say well placed?
6. Location, location, location! Sexy sex doesn’t have to stay in bed — it can be on the beach (it is in The Good Woman), in the office (er — ditto), and in the elevator (nope, didn’t do it). Heck, it can be on a different planet! But please don’t do it on a horse. I’ve got a great imagination, but even I can’t imagine good sex on a horse. No, no, really — have you ever ridden a horse?
5. Powerful women. I love powerful women. Not corporate boardroom powerful (but that’s okay, too), I mean just personally powerful. Confident. They may not be in complete control, but they’re not idiots. It’s the Twenty-first century, for heaven’s sake!
4. A little sweet to go with the spicy. I’m not a huge romance fan (now that’s some real fantasy stuff in there), but I do like my characters to have a moment of tenderness. The awwww factor, used sparingly, can have great effects.
3. A little mystery. I don’t really need every single, tiny, minute detail of his pecs (or her pecs), or even every detail of the sex. They say the best sex is in the head (at least, they say that for women). We can disagree on the veracity of this, but let’s leave a tiny bit in there just in case, okay?
2. Lots of good sex.
1. Did I mention lots of good sex? Why do you think I’m reading (and writing!) erotica?